
I have recently grown a beard. My wife likes it. I have mixed feelings. My wife thinks the beard is Connery-esque. I say it makes me look more like Gabby Hayes (Roy Rogers' old sidekick). Beards are definitely a vanity item. If you don't have it on top you can certainly grow it on the face. I tried a beard in my younger years- specifically when I played Henry VIII in the Florida Players' production of A Man For All Seasons. Back then it sprouted dark and robust: a youthful and manly beard. Imagine my surprise when I sought to grow that same beard in recent days. It made its appearance, a wizened and hoary brush, fit for Methusalah, but not for one of my years on this earth. Beards are for peacocks, narcissists and old men. I guess I belong to the latter group.
No comments:
Post a Comment