
My wife Jerre and I have noticed that in our older ages we tend to have different types of dreams. Call them "retirement dreams". In my younger days I did a lot of discjockey work at various commercial radio stations and the the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service. No matter where the work the routine was generally the same. You grab a bunch of records (no digital world then), you cue them up and you play them. My recurrent dream -actually more a nightmare- is that I am slowly running out of records to play and I don't know where to find more. The anxiety increases until I get to the point where I have no music at all to play... and then I wake up. I think the Freudian implications of this might be fairly obvious. My wife also has dreams relating to her former occupation: librarian. She is in a huge library and is faced with the task of organizing and cataloging many volumes. The work becomes increasingly more burdensome and harrowing until she feels she will burst. She then wakes up. What happened to the beautifully sensuous dreams of yesteryear? The dreams of making huge amounts of money and becoming enormously successful and, even, famous? Apparently the physical and conscious worlds of the retiree are not the only parts of those worlds subject to erosion.
No comments:
Post a Comment